Is Coconut Oil really good for you?
Answer - 7 Reasons to Love Coconut Oil
1. Aids in Weight Loss - Researchers discovered coconut oil is easy to digest and also protects the body from insulin resistance. In a 2009 study researchers discovered a weight loss link between women's consumption of coconut oil and found that coconut oil reduced abdominal obesity. To try coconut oil for weight loss start by adding one teaspoon to your diet and gradually work your way up to four teaspoons per day.
2. All Fats Are Not Created Equal - Coconut oil contains short term medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs), which is a "healthy" form saturated fat compared to trans-fat which are toxic to our body's. Our body metabolizes these fats in the liver, immediately converting this into energy (fuel for the brain and muscle function) rather than it being stored as fat.
3. Safe to Cook in High Temperatures - Due to the fact that coconut oil is a medium-chain saturated fatty acid, it gives it a higher smoking temperature than most polyunsaturated or monounsaturated oils. For high temperature recipes coconut oil remains safe and healthy unlike other oils which will oxidase at high temperatures, creating free radicals.
4. Supports Immunity - Coconut oil contains healthy fats like lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid which are all known antifungal, antibacterial and antivirals which help to boost the immune system. Once consumed Lauric acid is converted into monolaurin which is claimed to help heal viruses such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, helicobacter pylori and candida.
5. Aiding in Type 2 Diabetes - The Garvan Institute of Medical Research recently found that coconut oil protects against insulin resistance, reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes. The fats unique to coconut oil are small enough to be absorbed into the cells where they're quickly converted to energy. It is this process that not only reduces the amount of fat we pack into storage, but improves insulin sensitivity.
6. Beneficial for Skin Conditions and Aging - Find the help you need for your skin in your kitchen. Coconut oil is not just for your cooking, but is also very medicinal for skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, fungal infections and even helps with aging skin. It keeps the skin's connective tissues strong, which prevents sagging and wrinkles. Apply coconut oil directly to your skin to soften the appearance of fine lines or use it daily on your face and body for a healthy glow.
7. Boost Your Memory - Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), the primary type of fat found within coconut oil, have been found to boost cognitive performance in older adults suffering from memory disorders as serious as Alzheimer's - and not after months or even days of treatment, but after a single 40 ml dose! A groundbreaking 2004 study published in the journal Neurobiology of Aging found that the administration of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), the primary fat type found in coconut oil, almost immediately improved cognitive function in older adults with memory disorders.