The Wonders of Apple Cider Vinegar
I remember when I was first introduced to Apple Cider Vinegar. I was in my first year of Natural Medicine School and one of my classmates would put Apple Cider Vinegar on her lunch every day. I absolutely hated the smell and would eat lunch outside just to avoid it. After a little while I started to tolerate the smell and asked her why she consumed it so often. My classmate said that it dramatically reduced her heavy menstrual flow and cramps. I was intrigued to say the least and over time I learned to love the smell and crave the taste!
Apple Cider Vinegar has many medicinal qualities to it including: antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, immune and metabolism boosting!
Here are the top uses for Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV):
Skin and Hair
- Dandruff- Mix Apple Cider Vinegar with water in equal parts (ex. 1 cup water and 1 cup ACV) and apply to scalp either by pouring it over the scalp or using a spray bottle of the mixture. Leave on for 1-2 hours depending upon the severity. Repeat 1-3 times per week.
- For dull hair- wash your hair with shampoo and then rinse with ACV before you condition. This will help to lift the buildup of residue and result in beautiful shiny hair.
- Problematic skin- Apply ACV to problem areas of skin such as acne or age spots at night before bed. You can also use it as a toner (mix 2 tbsp. ACV with 1 cup purified water) and this will tighten and tone, eradicate oiliness and dramatically smooth the skin.
- Sunburn- ACV has a very calming effect to the skin and will soothe sunburns very quickly. Add ½ cup to a lukewarm bath or mix 25% ACV with 75% water and spritz it onto skin. Once the vinegar is dry the smell dissipates.
- Warts-Before going to bed at night, soak a cotton ball with ACV and apply to wart. Repeat nightly until wart in gone.
- Insect Bites- Apply ACV mixed half and half with water directly to bite to alleviate the pain and itch from an insect bite.
- Foot Odor- To eliminate stinky feet spray a half and half ACV and water combination. The acid in the ACV will destroy the bacteria and fungal microbes that cause feet to smell.
- Deodorant- Apply ACV directly to armpits to eradicate odor. You can also use aluminum free baking soda in the shower. Scoop 1 tbsp. into your clasped hand and allow a small amount of shower water to seep in so the mixture forms a paste. Apply the paste to the armpits and let it sit for 1-2 minutes and rinse.
- Taking apple cider as a tonic helps reduce bleeding in most women almost immediately. Apple cider vinegar flushes toxins out of the body and naturally dissolves issues causing heavy menstrual bleeding. Consume 1 tbsp. in hot water every day.
- Acid Reflux and heartburn- Swallow 1 tsp. of ACV to immediately alleviate the symptoms and acid reflux and heartburn.
- Digestion- Add 1 tbsp. of ACV to hot water and sip on it to alleviate gas and bloating and eliminate digestive cramping.
- Joint pain- Adding ACV to the bath can help to decrease general aches and pains. Combine it with Epsom salts for even better results.
- Gout- Adding 1-2 cups of ACV to the bath has also been shown to dissolve uric acid, which causes gout.
- Arthritis- ACV has the ability to alkalinize the body so drinking it on a regular basis will help to decrease the acidity that is often an underlying cause of arthritis. Drink 1-2 tbsp. per day in hot water for best results.
- Sore throats- Gargling with ACV will help to neutralize the bacteria or virus that causes sore throats. Mix 1 tsp. with 2 ounces of water and gargle at the onset of a sore throat.
- Boost Metabolism- ACV speeds up the metabolism by boosting fat burning and helps alkalize the body. It also helps to control the appetite by allowing you to recognize when you are full. For results, one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water should be consumed before each meal.
- Enhances energy- ACV contains enzymes which help prevent exhaustion. Add a tablespoon to a small glass of water.
Around the House
- Detoxes the home- Add 1 cup of ACV to 3 liters of warm water to make an antibacterial solution that can be used on all surfaces including wood floors. Add in a few drops of Eucalyptus oil for a refreshing and clean smelling scent.
- Cleans the dishwasher- Add 1 cup of ACV into the bottom of an empty dishwasher and run a normal cycle to remove build up. This works better than adding the typical toxic chemicals.
- Cleans windows- Mix a half and half solution of ACV with water and spray it onto your windows. Wait for the windows to dry and then wipe them with a paper towel to remove smears.
- Cleans drains- Mix half a cup of baking soda and half a cup of salt together, and pour it down your drain, followed by half a cup of apple cider vinegar. The apple cider vinegar and baking soda react with each other to clean the drain. After three hours, flush the drain through with water.
The Apple Cider Vinegar that needs to be used is on the organic, unfiltered, and raw version of apple cider vinegar that contains the ‘mother’ strand of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria.