Ask Dr. Cobi - Can fingernail changes be a sign of health issues?
Yes! Changes in the fingernail appearance can indicate something deeper is going on in the body. Examples include the following:
- Spoon shaped- Iron deficiency or damage from harsh detergents
- Vertical ridges- metabolic disorders or lung issues
- Horizontal ridges- gout, heart and circulation conditions
- White spots- zinc deficiency
- Small bulges- nail fungi or iron deficiency
- Hourglass shape- bronchial or lung conditions
- Yellow nails- liver and/or gallbladder issues
- Bluish or grey coloured nails- heart condition
- Brown nails- adrenal gland dysfunction
To discuss any of these symptoms book here.